20 Jul 2015

(212) The Merry Wives of Windsor: Fallstaff, Ford, Brook Broom, Shakespeare-

any coherence between these names ? 





                                            Richard Brome                                                                    John Ford

In Shakespeare's -> „The Merry Wives of Windsor“ (Q1/Q2) Master Ford, jealous of Sir John -> Fallstaff, calls himself  "Brooke" when disguised. In the First Folio(1623) the name Brook astonishingly was changed  to „Broom“.

In the epistle to his „Five New Playes 1653“ by ->Richard Brom (sometimes Broome) a certain A.Brome (his brother?) writes: „… tis not Money, for then I should loose my labour; Tis not praise, for the Author bid me tell you, that, now he [Brome] is dead, he is of Falstaffs minde, and cares not for Honour.

The Author ->John Ford (1606) dedicates his „Honor Triumphant“ to the „Honor of all Fair ladies, saying in the dedication:" I will be an alien to mine owne issue: as unworthy to be christined for mine, since dis-esteeming in beeing mine" and tells about himself in "Christ[opher]es Bloodie Sweat or the Sonne of God in his Agonie" (I liv'd the subject of both scorne and shame, banish't from mirth, of comfort all deprived, horrors of scandall...and 
as I lived, I died alive....disgrace upon my name, imprison'd and opprest ...uncertaine where to lead me to my bed...

Is this alle mere coincidence? Or shouldn‘ t one look for  any  coherence  between the texts and name of a disguised „Broom“,  between „Falstaff“ ,  „Shakespeare“ and „ Ford“? (s.also ->.Blog 55)

It immediately would make sense, when accepting , that these names were  "Pseudo-names"  and the texts  always representing biographic  aspects of the same