6 Jan 2016

(369) the Author of "The Duke of Lerma" was the „true“ Shakespeare

The Duke of Lerma“ a play 

by  "True" Shakespeare ! 


Why literary scolars haven't established  yet any connection  between  Tobie Mathew' (alias Marlowe/Shakespere) and  Robert Howard's  Play? 

_________________________

The Duke of  Lerma  Peter P. Rubens 1603
Robert Howard 1668
The great Favourite,or, the Duke of Lerma





















The german Shakespeare/Marlowe Book (page 571-589)  provides arguments that concealed Marlowe in his later life lived incognito under false identity such as Tobie Mathew ( the name "borrowed" from the 3rd mentally ill son of the homonyous father Bishop Tobias Mathew - s.also Blog 359) and published under multiple initials or pennames such as Basse, Barnfield, Chapman, Davies, Markham  Shakespeare, Wither and more,


In a letter to Francis Bacon Febr.14 1619  from Brüssel Mathew enclosed a "textbook“ concerning the Duke of Lerma, („to offer this inclosed paper to your sight, concerning the Duke of Lerma; which (...) will not, I think, be altogether unpleasing, because it is full of particular circumstances.“) and attached a footnote, that he had translated it from Spanish and for better understanding added some notes  ( " I have out of a ragged hand in Spanish, translated it, and accompanied it with some marginal notes for your Lordship's. greater ease." )

A play „The Great Favourite,  or, the Duke  of Lerma.(1668) was printed for the first time in 1668,written by  the honourable Sir Robert Howard“. In his preface („To the Reader“)  of the  first edition 1668, Howard stated :


 “I was concerned to let the world judge what subject matter of offence was contain’d in it: some were pleas’d to believe, little of it mine: but they are both obliging to me; though perhaps not intentionally……For the subject, I came accidentally to write upon it; for a Gentleman brought a Play to the Kings Company, call‘d the Duke of Lerma; and by them I was desir’d to peruse it, and return my opinion  wether I thought it fit for the Stage,.(  …) the Names, my altering the most part of the characters, and the whole design, made me uncapable to use much more; though perhaps written with higher Stile and Thoughts, then I cou'd attain to,(...)
But writing this epistle in so much a haste, I had almost forgot one Argument, or Observation,  which that Author has most good fortune in it;  It is in his Epistle Dedicatory, before his Essay of Dramaticke Poesie; where speaking of Rhyme in Playes, he desires it may be observ’d , That l…. which as to myself and him I easily acknowledge; for I confesse, none has written in that way better than himself, nor few worse than I: Yet, I hope, he is so ingenious   that he would not wish this Argument should extend further than to him and me;


Can anybody tell us , why (up to now)  the play „The Great Favorite, or the Duke of Lerma“ should have been written by Sir Robert Howard, though demonstrably Tobie Matthew (Alias Marlowe/Shakespeare) dedicated it to Francis Bacon ?
https://archive.org/details/lifeofsirtobiema00mathiala/page/168