22 May 2016

(427) The "true" vulgar scandal of the "true" Shakespeare

Alexander Waugh not ready to  remove his "Oxfordian" blinkers! 

What a shame! 





        

The "orthodox" Oxfordian  Alexander Waugh, Honorary President of the Shakespeare Authorship CoalitionCo-editor of  „Shakespeare Beyond Doubt? Exposing an Industry in Denial“ (2013) gave a talk [s. Video below] at the 2015  Shakespeare Oxford Fellowship Conference in Ashland, Oregon,




Waugh dealt with the problem that in Shake-speare  Sonnets  the poet reveals that he is embroiled in a ‘vulgar scandal’ that has made him ‘a motley to the view’ and a ‘disgrace in men’s eyes.  ’Even though   at the beginning he warns the audience that there are high risks involved in interpreting the sonnets biographically: he does exactly that! 

————

In looking for any  literary evidence  of such a scandal, he selected early literary references to  Shakespeare such as 
Venus & Adonis  (Shakespeare),  
Avisa (H.W.), s.Blogs 414, 415416, 417 , 418 ,
Polimanteia  s.Blogs 403, 404,  405,  406,  407, 408 (W.C.),
Delia (S.Daniel),  
Epigrams  (Weever), 
Pygmalion (Marston).

How could it happen that Waugh completely ignored Marlowe who suffered the most dramatic vulgar life scandal of all english poets?

Almost 100 years ago, in 1923, 2 years prior (!!)  to  Hotson's discovery of the "Latin" Coroner's Report , Archie Webster concluded that not Shakespeare, but Marlowe must have been the author of the sonnets. He found the extraordinary life of Marlowe and...

                           ... his tragic "vulgar scandal" fully reflected 
in the sonnets


Can anyone explain who biographically - if not Marlowe - could represent or mirror the subsequent contextual extracts of the sonnets of Shakespeare?

________________ extracts of Shakespeare‘s  sonnets_____________________________________


Fear, Anxiety,  Threat of life, Imprisonment, Faked death

Son.33:
»Anon permit the basest cloudes to ride, 
With ougly rack on his celestiall face« 
Son.68:
»To live a second live on second head« 
Son.73:
»A few do hange upon those boughs [Gallow]
which shake against the could« 
Son.74
»So then thou hast but lost the dregs of life, 
The prey of worms, my body being dead, 
The coward conquest of a wretch’s knife, 
Too base of thee to be remembered (…)
But be contented when that fell arrest 
Without all bail shall carry me away« 
Son.86:
»Aboue a mortall pitch, that struck me dead?« 
Son.107:
»Not mine own fears nor the prophetic soul
Of the wide world dreaming on things to come
Can yet the lease of my true love control, 
Supposed as forfeit to a confined doom.« 
Son.112:
»That all the world besides me thinkes y’are dead.« 

 Living in Exile, Banishment,, Flight, Concealment,
 Travels, Trennung, Separation

Son.26:
»Til then, not show my head« 
Son.28:
»The one by toil, the other to complain
How far I toil, still farther off from thee« 
Son.29:
»I all alone beweepe my out-cast state« 
Son.30:
»For precious friends hid in deaths dateles night,« 
Son.33:
»And from the forlorne world his visage hide«
»Stealing vnseene to west with this disgrace:« 
Son.39:
»Even for this let us divided live, 
And our dear love lose name of single one, 
That by this separation I may give
That due to thee which thou deserv’st alone 
And that thou teachest how to make one twain, 
By praising him here who doth hence remain.« 
Son.44:
»For then, despite of space, I would be brought, 
From limits far remote, where thou dost stay.« 
Son.61:
»Is it thy spirit that thou send’st from thee
So far from home into my deeds to pry«
Son.71:
»Give warning to the world that I am fled 
From this vile world with vildest wormes to dwell:« 
Son.97:
»How like a winter hath my absence been
From thee, the pleasure of the fleeting year!«
Son.98:
»From you have I been absent in the spring« 
Son.109:
»Though absence seem’d my flame to quallifie, 
As easie might I from my selfe depart, (…)
Like him that trauels I returne againe, 
Iust to the time, not with the time exchang’d,« 

Scandal,  Disgrace, Stigmatisation, Blemish, Paralysis, Accusation, Extinction,  

Son.25:
»is from the booke of honour rased quite, 
And all the rest forgot for which he toild:« 
Son.26:
»And in them-selues their pride lies buried, 
For at a frowne they in their glory die.« 
Son.29:
»When in disgrace with Fortune and mens eyes, 
I all alone beweepe my out-cast state«
Son.33:
»Stealing vnseene to west with this disgrace:« 
Son.34:
»That heales the wound, and cures not the disgrace
Nor can thy shame give phisicke to my griefe
Though thou repent, yet I have still the losse«
Son.36:
»So shall those blots that do with me remain, 
Without thy help, by me be borne alone. 
I may not evermore acknowledge thee, 
Lest my bewailed guilt should do thee shame
Though in our liues a seperable spight«
Son.37:
»So I, made lame by Fortune’s dearest spite 
So then I am not lame, poor, nor despised« 
Son.66:
»And right perfection wrongfully disgrac'd
»and Art made tongue-tied by Authority
Son.72:
»My name be buried where my body is, 
And liue no more to shame nor me, nor you
For I am shamd by that which I bring forth,« 
Son.90:
»Now while the world is bent my deeds to cross
O, for my sake do you with Fortune chide,« 
Son.109:
»So that my selfe bring water for my staine, 
Neuer beleeue though in my nature raign’d, 
All frailties that besiege all kindes of blood, 
That it could so preposterouslie be stain’d, 
To leaue for nothing all thy summe of good:« 
Son.111:
»The guilty goddess of my harmful deeds 
Thence comes it that my name receives a brand 
Your love and pity doth th’ impression fill«
Son.112:
»Which vulgar scandal stamped upon my brow«
Son.121:
»When not to be, receives reproach of being (…)
Or on my frailties why are frailer spies (…)
At my abuses, reckon vp their owne(…)
My deedes must not be shown«
Son.125:
»Hence, thou suborned Informer, a true soul     
When most impeached, stands least in thy control.« 

Anonymity and Namelessness  

Son.25:
»Let those who are in favour with their stars, 
Of public honour and proud titles boast, 
Whilst I whom fortune of such triumph bars
Unlooked for joy in that I honour most« 
Son.71:
»O if (I say) you looke vpon this verse, 
When I (perhaps) compounded am with clay, 
Do not so much as my poore name reherse;«
Son.72:
»My name be buried where my body is, 
And live no more to shame nor me nor you«
Son.76:
»Why write I still all one, ever the same, 
And keep invention in a noted weed, 
That every word doth almost tell my name, 
Showing their birth and where they did proceed?«
Son.81
»Your name from hence immortal life shall have, 
Though I, once gone, to all the world must die«
Son.111
»Thence comes it that my name receives a brand«

Complaint, Sorrow,  Suffering, Grief, Sadness, Melancholy, Distress, Failure, Weeping  

Son.28
»But day doth daily draw my sorrows longer, 
And night doth nightly make grief’s length seem stronger.« 
Son.30
»Then can I drown an eye, unused to flow, 
(…)
Then can I grieve at grievances foregone, 
And heavily from woe to woe tell o’er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan, 
Which I new pay as if not paid before.«
Son.34:
»Nor can thy shame give phisicke to my griefe«
Son.50:
»The beast that bears me, tired with my woe, 
Plods dully on, to bear that weight in me, 
(…)
For that same groan doth put this in my mind:
My grief lies onward, and my joy behind.« 
Son.64
»When I haue seene such interchange of state, 
Or state it selfe confounded, to decay, 
Ruine hath taught me thus to ruminate«

Marlowe's  Life smotto

Son.73
»In me thou seest the glowing of such fire
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie, 
As the death-bed whereon it must expire, 
Consumed with that which it was nourished by.«